The immediate objectives of the DDC are:
- To collect, analyse and disseminate documentation and hard data on contemporary, social, economic and political events in the Caribbean.
- To build the institutional capability of the ISES to meet the present and future information needs of students and teachers as well as the subjects of research, e.g., small businessmen, farmers and others.
- To utilize operational research in the training of graduate students, policy makers and practitioners; and to carry out expert technical advisory functions.
- To make social policy analysis and publications more accessible to a cross-section of public and private sector researchers and thereby attract a pool of indigenous experts capable of meeting the need for technical assistance.
- To develop an on-going exchange of information and collaboration in research between ISES and other researchers and information units regionally and internationally.