Research & Innovation
UWI is focused on building a research institution that will enable us to become internationally recognized as a centre of excellence in research, knowledge creation and innovation on matters relating to the Caribbean and Small Island Developing States.
As a research-driven institution some of the UWI's core strategic goals include creating an enabling environment to support, foster and increase the output of high research and innovation with an emphasis on the Caribbean as well as enhancing graduate studies and increase postgraduate research output.
Research with a Caribbean emphasis
UWI is an authority in matters related to Caribbean and Small Island States development
Our major research clusters include
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Biodiversity & Environmental Protection
- Biotechnology, Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Crime, Security & Justice
- Cultural & Entertainment Industries
- Governance & Management of the Caribbean Sea
- Health & Wellness
- Integration Studies and the CSME
- International Trade and the EPA
- Natural Hazards Management
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Tourism
- Small Island Developing States
Our campus research hubs provide more information on research at UWI.
Board for Graduate Studies and Research
The mandate of the university-wide Office of Research is to facilitate the development of research capacity and output at UWI and transform the University into a more research-driven institution. Visit the Board for Graduate Studies and Research.
As the Caribbean's University, UWI is proud of its libraries which house numerous valuable collections and records of our Caribbean history. At the centre of an institution of academia the UWI libraries are an invaluable asset to the University.
- Tax Law Center (the largest regional collection of unreported cases from Commonwealth Caribbean Courts) – Law Library, Cave Hill
- The Nita Barrow Collection – (a collection of Nita Barrow’s personal papers, documents and select books and manuscripts.) – Main Library, Cave Hill
- The Manuscripts of Roger Mais – Main Library, Mona
- Album Pintoresco de la isla Cuba ( a volume of coloured prints depicting nineteenth century Cuba) – Main Library, Mona
- The Derek Walcott Collection – Alma Jordan Library, St. Augustine
- The Eric Williams Memorial Collection – Alma Jordan Library, St. Augustine
- The BBC Caribbean Broadcast Archives (1988-2011)
- West Indiana Special Collections
Learn more about our University libraries:
The University of the West Indies Libraries Information Connexion ( UWILinC ) or visit the
University Libraries online.
Also visit the campus libraries